Flipkart co-founders backed “Inshorts” (formerly News in Shorts) is more than just another news app – it’s a unique news reading experience – an app that selects latest and best news from multiple national and international sources and summarizes them to present in a short and crisp 60 words or less format, personalized for you, in both, English or Hindi. No Opinions, Only Facts!
The youth of the country is ready to spend hours on Facebook or Whatsapp but they are not even aware of the most important news topics of the day. It’s not easy for a youngster to keep up with the news because of the sheer volume and number of stories published every day.
The Start-up App
‘News in Shorts’ was started by IIT-dropouts Azhar Iqubal, Anunay Arunav and Deepit Purkayastha on 1st April 2013, with the decision to start a service that provided summaries laden with only facts and figures, devoid of opinions to make it easier to consume. It was launched as a Facebook page in 2013 before being shortlisted as one of Nasscom’s 10,000 Startups. The company launched its app on Android first in 2013, following up with iOS in 2015. In 2015, Inshorts re-branded from its founding name, News In Shorts. Part of the re-branding also included expanding the content beyond news aggregation, adding videos, info-graphics, and blogs.
- News Reader: Read bite-sized 60-word shorts of All Breaking News. Original story is just a tap away!
- My Feed: Inshorts intelligently learns your preferences as you browse, and displays stories personalized for you.
- Swipe for News: Like a magazine, each page is its own unique story. One swipe is all it takes to progress to the next story.
- News Categories: Inshorts curates all types of news and headlines from categories like India, politics, entertainment, business, technology, startups, world, sports and hatke – all in one place.
- Multi-sourced: Articles are sourced from various publishers and news channels like Reuters, Indian Express, PTI, The Guardian, NYT, Outlook, TechCrunch, Sportskeeda and many more.
- TOSS lets you notify your friends (in your contact list) of important, interesting articles, videos and news.
- Place our widget on your home screen to browse through headlines.
- Share News: Facebook, WhatsApp, Reddit, Hike, e-mail and other social platforms are also supported.
‘News in Shorts’ was well received with thousands of users downloading the mobile app. It was incubated at TLabs and in 2014 raised funding from Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal, co-founders of Flipkart. Additional early investors include Ankush Nijhawan, Gaurav Bhatnagar, Manish Dhingra, and Times Internet.
Series A funding closed in February 2015 with $4 million being led by Tiger Global. Additional investors included the Bansals of Flipkart and Rebright Partners. It closed a Series B round the same year with $20 million being raised. That round was led by existing investor Tiger Global.
The app is free to download and for all users. The team is currently focusing on the quality of their content and getting more users on their platform. They have so far not monetized with in-app advertisements or other means. The startup has no plans for monetization in the near future, though it will ultimately make money through sponsored content and native advertising. The team is financially secure and may look to raise more funds in the future, if need be.
‘Inshorts’ crossed the one million download mark on Google Play Store in April 2015 and is one of the highest rated Indian news apps. Read in short, Stay informed, quickly & with ease. Download Now!